January 19, 2023 • 0 comments
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 8
- (2 pounds) Ground Beef
- (1 medium) Onion, diced
- (1 medium) Bell Pepper, diced
- (1/2 cup) Frozen Sweet Corn
- (10 oz can) Diced tomatoes with green chilis
- (1-2 Packets) Taco Seasoning
- (1 standard serving for 8x8/9x9 pan) Cornbread Mix
- (Or use your own from scratch recipe) Anything needed for the cornbread mix
An easy way to change up traditional tacos! If you have a cast iron skillet or oven safe pan, use that to cook the taco meat in so that you can transfer the pan straight into the oven when the cornbread is ready to bake. Otherwise, you can use a normal fry pan, then transfer the taco meat into a casserole dish to finish the cornbread top in the oven.
Thaw ground beef ahead of time. Note, you can use ground round, ground beef, or our power grind ground beef in this recipe.
This recipe is very versatile, so you can cook up the taco meat however you and your family prefer. The recipe here is how our family does it, but you're welcome to add hot sauce, black beans, take out the chilis, etc.
- Brown the ground beef in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced onion, pepper, and corn to the ground beef and stir.
- Add in your preferred taco seasoning and stir.
- Add the cans of tomatoes and diced chilis and stir again.
- Turn the heat down to low and set the skillet aside while you prepare the cornbread mix. Preheat the oven to the instructed baking temperature (likely 350 or 375 degrees F).
- Prepare cornbread. If you have a from scratch corn bread recipe, you can prepare it, otherwise use a prepackaged mix and prepare the batter as instructed.
- If you are using a casserole dish to bake in, instead of the skillet, transfer the meat to the casserole dish. Butter/spray the dish with non-stick if you like.
- Flatten the taco meat in the skillet/casserole dish, then top with the cornbread batter.
- Set in the oven and bake according to cornbread instructions (likely 20-30 minutes) until cornbread is cooked through and starting to brown on top.
- Remove from oven. Top with cheese if desired and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, then serve. Serve with your favorite toppings; sour cream, cheese, salsa, green onion, hot sauce, etc. Enjoy!