What meats should I always have in my freezer?
Life is crazy! The kids just got home and they’re all hungry. You have to take them to practice in an hour and you haven’t even had time to think of dinner!
Don't let time take away the chance to eat well with your family. Have these staples on hand and avoid dinner dilemmas in your home.
Easy Dinner Saves
Not sure what to make for dinner later in the week? Always have these versatile items pulled for an easy dinner save.
- Ground Beef - Tacos, spaghetti, casserole, sloppy joe, burgers - the possibilities are endless! We ALWAYS have some ground beef thawed and ready to go in the fridge.
- Bacon - When in doubt, BLTs, baked potatoes, breakfast, and more....bacon is always good to have on hand.
- Burger Patties - Another quick and easy dinner fix that everyone can love.
- Breakfast links - Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner anyways?
- Italian sausage - Perfect for spaghetti, casserole, pizza, and more! Another quick dinner save.
- Ham steak or Smoked pork chops - Cured, all you have to do is heat over the stove and you're set to go!
- Pork Chops - Sear on the stove top with some simple seasoning for a juicy and delectable favorite.
- Turkey breasts and tenders - Season and cook with your family's favorite recipe - casseroles, skillet dishes, sheet bakes, and more.
Slow Cooker Savers
Keep these items on hand for a quick dinner fix. Throw them in the slow cooker in the morning and have a delicious dinner that evening. Minimal work needed! And no oven required in the heat of summer. :)
- Chuck roast - Serve with potatoes, carrots, and onions for the traditional pot roast.
- Whole chicken - Chicken broth + wild rice, potatoes, or noodles + carrots, onion, and celery = the perfect chicken soup!
- Shoulder roast - Set on low and cook slow with a little bit of water and BBQ sauce for the perfect pulled pork.
- Stew meat - Beef broth, carrots, onions, and potatoes make for a warming, traditional stew.
- Ribs (Country, Spare, and Short) - Get your napkins and BBQ sauce ready!
- Chicken breasts - Cook with your favorite BBQ sauce, salsa, or traditional roast vegetables for a classic meal.
Snacks and simple school lunches are important, too. Enjoy these healthy, ready to eat favorites that your kids (and hubbies) will love!
- Ham sandwich slices - Eat straight from the fridge or sear in a skillet.
- Beef sticks - Which flavor is your favorite?
- Summer sausage - Slice up and serve with cheese.
- Salami - Perfect on a sandwich or on its own!
We hope this list helps you combat your kids' favorite question - "Mom, what's for dinner?"
No more, "I don't knows!" :)
Is there another freezer staple you keep that we missed? Let us know - comment below. Thanks!